April 2018

U.S. Beam Import Licenses


Beam licenses for the month of April through the 24th, totaled 41,079 tons, 31.8% lower than the year to date. Two HTS codes are includes in this analysis. The largest contributor is Wide Flange Beams, which accounts for 82.3% of the total. Standard beams/others makes-up the balance, accounting for the remaining 17.7%. Figure 1 shows [...]

U.S. Beam Import Licenses2018-04-27T20:10:49+00:00

Advanced Durable Goods Orders


The U.S. Census Bureau reported that; new orders for durable goods orders gained 2.6% month on month, (m/m) in March, following the 3.5% increase in February. The always volatile nondefense aircraft orders, adding 44.5% m/m and 55.0% y/y saw the greatest growth out of all orders. The Advance Report on Durable Goods (DG), provides statistics [...]

Advanced Durable Goods Orders2018-04-26T20:44:04+00:00

Employment by Industry


In March there were good gains in both construction and manufacturing. The total number of seasonally adjusted (SA), non-farm people employed in the U.S. in March was 148.230 million (M), a relatively flat increase of 0.07% month on month, (m/m). Over the past 12 months the U.S. economy has added 2.261M jobs, or +1.6% for [...]

Employment by Industry2018-04-25T20:57:12+00:00

Manufacturing Capacity Utilization


Manufacturing capacity utilization (MCU), scored a 75.9% in March, a relatively flat % month on month, (m/m). On a year on year (y/y) comparison the MCU was up 2.2%. Manufacturing fundamentals continue to improve. Both the U.S. and global economy are strengthening and at the same time, the dollar has depreciated against the Broad Index, [...]

Manufacturing Capacity Utilization2018-04-24T14:44:22+00:00

U.S. Industrial Production


The March Industrial production, (IP) report rises as capacity utilization came in at a three year high, gaining 0.5% month on month, (m/m). On a year on year, (y/y) basis, the IP index was up 4.3%. Prospects for continued growth in 2018 look promising indeed as companies will see a 14% decline in the corporate [...]

U.S. Industrial Production2018-04-19T20:36:47+00:00

Architectural Billings Index


March’s ABI national overall score of 51.0, down 1.0 point from February’s 52.0 but still well into the expansionary zone, (>50). Although business conditions in the northeast region softened, it remained strong in the West and South regions. The new projects inquiry index came in at 58.4, down 4.3 points from last month, while the [...]

Architectural Billings Index2018-04-18T18:41:54+00:00

Producer Price Index for Construction


The March Bureau of Labor Statistics producer prices index, (PPI) excluding food and energy, the final demand goods PPI rose 0.4% for the third consecutive month. The PPI for all commodities was down 0.2% month on month, (m/m). On a 12 month year on year, (y/y) comparison, the all commodities PPI rose 3.9%. Figure 1 [...]

Producer Price Index for Construction2018-04-18T12:34:15+00:00

U.S. Steel Capacity Utilization


The total tonnage for the week ending April 7th was 1,805 million tons, (Mt) at a capacity utilization rate of 77.0%. For the first 14 weeks of 2018, total tonnage output was 24,643 Mt, at a capacity utilization rate of 75.5%. In 2017, the same 12 weeks production total was 24,254 Mt at 73.2%. Thus [...]

U.S. Steel Capacity Utilization2018-04-11T19:25:46+00:00

Oil and Gas Rotary Rig Counts


The total number of operating rigs in the U.S. the week as of March 6th was 1,003,000 oil and 194 gas. In percentage terms, on a month on month, (m/m) basis, oil rigs were up 2.2%, (+22 rigs) and gas up 7.2% (+13 rigs). On a year on year, (y/y) comparison, rigs were up +21.7% [...]

Oil and Gas Rotary Rig Counts2018-04-10T20:47:05+00:00

ISM Non-Manufacturing Index


The Institute for Supply Management’s non-manufacturing composite index fell 0.7 point month on month, (m/m) to a still very strong 58.8 in March. The indexes is off strong start in 2018, up one point from its 2017 fourth quarter average. The strong advance in the index points to continued growth in the nonmanufacturing segment as [...]

ISM Non-Manufacturing Index2018-04-09T14:39:39+00:00