Beam licenses through February 20th totaled 29,169 tons, up 5,618 tons or 23.8% from last February’s total of 23,551 tons. Month on month, (m/m) February’s license volume was higher by 4,095 tons. Year to date, (YTD), total licensed beam imports stand at 54,243 tons. Wide flange beams accounted for 66.8% and standard I beams made up the remaining 33.2% on an annual basis.

beam-licenses-fig1Figure 1 shows total Beam licenses through February for both 2017 and 2018 as reported by the Steel Import Monitoring System (SIMA).

Figure 2 beam-licenses-fig2charts the YTD total by country for 2017 and 2018. Korea licensed 19,617 tons, up 18.0% from last year’s YTD 14,623 tons. Thus far in February, Korea has licensed 12,209 tons.

Luxembourg licensed 16,623 tons thus far in 2018, down 6.9% from last year’s YTD 17,856 tons. Luxembourg has licensed 10,932 tons in February to-date. Spain licensed 4,759 tons, down 46.4% from last year’s YTD 8,878 tons. Thus far in February, Spain has licensed 581 tons. Mexico licensed 6,478 tons, up 66.4% from last year’s YTD 3,894 tons. Thus far in February, Mexico has licensed 3,305 tons. Canada licensed 4,857 tons thus far in 2018, up 48.9% from last year’s YTD 3,261 tons. Canada has licensed 1,334 tons in February to-date. These five countries account for 96.5% of licensed imports thus far in 2018.

The United Arab Emirates, licensed just 19 tons YTD, down from 6,814 tons YTD in 2017. It has not licensed any tons thus far in February. Taiwan licensed 432 tons, (all 432 in February) YTD, down substantially from last year’s YTD 5,147 tons. Thus far in February, Taiwan has licensed 12,209 tons. Germany was another country with a large reduction in licensed tons, falling from 1,085 tons YTD in 2017 to 177 tons month YTD this year. Germany has licensed 141 tons in February. China licensed small volumes 14 tons YTD vs. 603 tons YTD last year. China has not licensed any tons for February.

The $AUV per ton was relatively flat for most of the year. February 2018 $AUV average was reported at $550 per ton, down from $608 per ton in January.

At Gerdau we closely follow trade in long products steel since it has a profound impact on domestic market share and material pricing. We want you, our valued customers to have access to current information that can help you better plan and operate your businesses.