Beam licenses for May through the 28th totaled just 32,802 tons, down 52,166 tons or down 61.4% from April’s total of 84,967 tons. Year to date, (YTD) beam import license volume through May 28th totaled 227,867 tons, vs. 207,223 tons YTD 2017. Thus far in 2018, wide flange beams accounted for 75.2%, while standard beams made up the remaining 24.8%.

beams-fig1Figure 1 shows the monthly total beam licenses from May 2017 through May 2018 along with the same month from the previous year for comparison. The data was sourced from the Steel Import Monitoring System (SIMA). Beam licenses are off to a slower start in May.

Figure 2beams-fig2 charts beam licenses through May 28th for 2018, along with 2017 by country. Korea licensed 77,290 tons, up 58% from last year’s 48,914 tons. Luxembourg licensed 49,852 tons through the 28th of May, down 17% from last year’s 60,057 tons. Spain with 17,969 tons YTD was down 49% from last year’s 34,868 tons. Mexico’s licensed 25,539 tons YTD which was significantly higher than last year’s YTD volume of 9,518 tons.

Canada licensed 14,357 tons YTD, 47.8% higher than 2017 YTD volume of 9,714 tons. Taiwan licensed 39,847 tons YTD, significantly higher than last year’s YTD volume of 9,390 tons. Taiwan’s license volume for May was only 13 tons so far this month. The United Arab Emirates, licensed only 246 tons YTD, a small fraction of the 8,447 tons YTD 2017.

The average $AUV per ton started the year at $602 per ton, and currently sits at $667 per ton MTD for May 2018.

At Gerdau we closely follow trade in long products steel since it has a profound impact on domestic market share and material pricing. We want you, our valued customers to have access to current information that can help you better plan and operate your businesses.